"Harry Potter: Magical Places from the Films" celebrates the many locations of the Harry Potter film series. I have always thought that the Harry Potter movies have some of the best production design of any films, and so a book dedicated to highlighting that work is a must-own in my view.
The book is full of color photos and conceptual artwork. Each location also has plenty of text discussing the context in which each location appears in the films as well as the design process.
Included within the book are a couple of interesting inserts:
- Removable map of Diagon Alley
- Pamphlet of The Paintings of Hogwarts, featuring some of the notable portraits that appear on the walls of the school. Unfortunately, there are only 8 pages, which is a bit disappointing given that there are so many portraits - this could be it's own book (in fact, a full book of portraits was included as part of the Harry Potter Page to Screen Collector's Edition).
Table of Contents
1. The Dursley's House
2. Diagon Alley - includes Gringotts Bank, Olliander's Wand Shop, and the Leaky Cauldron
3. King's Cross Station - includes Platform Nine and Three-Quarters and the Hogwarts Express
4. Hogwarts Castle - includes the Great Call, Moving Straicases, Gryffindor Rooms, Chamber of Secrets
5. Hogwarts Classrooms & Offices - includes Headmaster's Office, Umbrige's Office, Potions Classroom
6. Hogwarts Grounds - includes the Forbidden Forest, Hagrid's Hut, Quidditch Pitch
7. Hogsmeade - includes Hogsmeade Village, The Hog's Head, The Shrieking Shack
8. Ministry of Magic - includes Trial Chamber, Hall of Phophecy, etc
9. Wizarding Homes - includes Malfoy Manor, Lovegood House, etc
Buy the book on Amazon.
*Review republished with permission from MovieArtBook.com
ART OF THE FILM
features detailed reviews of books related to the art of film & television.
You can support the site by shopping using the Amazon link below.